25 Mar Dress Code Mosques Istanbul
Dress Code Mosques Istanbul
What’s the dress code for visiting mosques in Istanbul? Do women need to cover their heads? Are pants allowed? Can women wear a skirt walking into a mosque in Istanbul ? Can men wear shorts? Can I go with socks? What happens to our shoes?
Here’s a full list of what you need to know practically to make your life easier for dress code mosques Istanbul:
Dress code for women in mosques in Istanbul, in general:
- While visiting a mosque in Istanbul, women need to cover their head,shoulders, knees .. and oh, toes can show. Chest and legs should be covered.
- You can carry your own scarf to cover your head but please note scarves are provided at the entrance of every mosque.
- If you are wearing leggings, tights or skirts, wraps will be provided at the entrance.
Dress code for men in mosques in Istanbul, in general:
- Men’s shorts need to cover knees.
- Tank tops are not allowed.
- Please take your hat off.
- Please keep your hands out of pockets as you stand before the altar.
General Rules For Dress Code In Istanbul, For Everyone:
- When entering mosques in Istanbul, you’ll take your shoes off and carry your shoes with you. Plastic bags are provided for this purpose.
- With or without socks doesn’t matter.
- There may be a line at the entrance of mosques because we wait for people to take their shoes off and get covered. Guides do not have priority to pass this line! ( There will be a line at the Blue Mosque in high season)
- Photography is allowed in most of the mosques. However,please remember people like their privacy when they are praying so do not take pictures of people who are in the mosque to pray.
- Please check our Grand Tour Of Istanbul for a two day tour of the city or visit a traditional order in Islam at night.