Our well-planned Highlights of Istanbul itinerary completely immerses you into Sultanahmet. Visit the Basilica Cistern, the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the Grand Bazaar and Topkapi Palace all in one fascinating tour.
Topkapi Palace and Harem Tour
See the Sultan's Palace from an expert’s perspective
We meet at the House of Medusa Restaurant in Sultanahmet. Here is the Google Maps Link.
Please note that if you are arriving by car or taxi, the street near the meeting point is closed to traffic, so you will have to walk the last 10-20 meters.
This tour runs every day except Tuesdays
Tours leave at 09:00 / 13:00 in the Winter and 09:30 / 13:30 in the Summer
*This tour is not available on the following dates: 31 December, 01 January, 21 April, and 28 June.
- Adult (Ages 12+)
- Child (Ages 3-11)
- Infant (Ages 2 & Under)
- Private Tour Base price for 2 people
A Guided Tour of Topkapı Palace
Istanbul’s Topkapı Palace is opulent, complex, mysterious, and awe-inspiring. It was the home of the Ottomans for nearly 400 years, and was this dynasty’s most significant achievement.
Our guided tour of Topkapı Palace and its Harem will immerse you in the heart of the great Ottoman Empire. As you stroll through the palace, imagine the ruling Sultans who lived in its hundreds of rooms with their vast family and countless servants.
Topkapı is not a palace in the traditional European sense, but a complex of low buildings, pavilions, kiosks, and courtyards. It was more like a self-contained city that most of its inhabitants rarely left.
Today, Topkapı Palace offers a romantic setting with its views of the Bosporus in Istanbul. It takes a few hours to enjoy it properly, as thankfully much of its expansive territory is accessible to the public.
Our tour of Topkapi Palace includes the Holy Relics, Treasury sections, and the outer terraced gardens (sadly, it’s rarely included in other tours). We climb up to the highest terrace, past flowerbeds ablaze with colorful tulips, for an unmissable view over the Golden Horn. As you do so, your guide will help you filter myths from reality, and stories from official archives.
Harem in Topkapı Palace
The very seat of the Ottoman Sultan’s power in Topkapı Palace lies within the deepest reaches of the Harem, inside the famous house of the Monarchy.
The Harem in Topkapı Palace was ruled by the Queen Mother, who wielded both domestic and political power (there was no queen in the Ottoman Court).
The Harem housed hundreds of women, mostly prisoners of war, family members, and hundreds more eunuchs who performed a range of administrative and personal duties. We pass first through the sections where the eunuchs lived and were educated. Then we move down the hallway to the courtyard of the concubines and the Queen Mother’s rooms.
Take a moment to spot the cupboard doors inlaid with mother-of-pearl and tortoiseshell. Our walk through the Harem is also the only way to see the very early, exceptionally-crafted Iznik tiles decorated with floral designs and verses from the Quran.
You can get to know this extraordinary palace and the royal Ottoman family in a private tour, or share the experience with a small group (maximum 12 people).
- Visit Topkapi Palace and Harem to see the glory of the Ottoman Era.
- Explore the Treasury, Holy Relics, and Imperial Kitchens.
- See the Harem with your own eyes, including the private quarters and home of the Sultans.
- Enjoy the outer terraces with their beautiful flower beds and panoramic views of the Golden Horn.
- Be inspired by a local and professional guide with insider knowledge of Istanbul.
- Enjoy priority access tickets to both sites.
- Choose a small-group tour for a more interactive and personalized experience.
- Get recommendations from your local guide at the end of the tour.
- Admission ticket for Topkapi Palace
- Admission ticket for the Harem
- Licensed tour guide
- Pre-reserved tickets with priority access
- 3-hour guided tour of Topkapi Palace and the Harem
- Small group or private tour experience
- Meeting point with toilet facilities and Turkish delicacies available for purchase
Transport to or from the meeting spot